The Patriots are one win (or Oakland loss) away from clinching the #1 seed in the AFC. An incredible feat after the commissioner tried his damn hardest to cripple the Patriots. The Patriots persevered by winning 3 of their first 4 games and are on their way to a potential 14-2 record. A feat in which a small few teams in the NFL could accomplish with their star QB out of the lineup.
Sadly the “cheaters” comments will never end. No one understands that Brady being suspended isn’t any sort of guilt from deflate gate, but rather an affirmation of Roger Goodell’s powers. We as Patriots fans are always open to ignorant people who love to hate on the Patriots for being “cheaters”. There is nothing more flattering to me than a fan from another team following our page just to spew hate and show us the amount of real estate we take up in their heads.
Just to clarify for the haters, here are some of the facts on the “scandals” the Patriots have been involved in.
2001 The Tuck Rule: It’s exactly that, a RULE! People act like the Patriots invented the rule in an AFC Divisional against the Raiders, but it was actually added to the rule books in 1998-99. (I thought it was a fumble too.).. Ray Lewis claimed that we would never know who Tom Brady was if it weren’t for the tuck rule, but would we know who Ray Lewis was if he was put away for murder? Probably not. Ray seems to forget about the other 3 Super Bowls Brady won since the tuck rule year.
The Patriots got in trouble for merely filming from an improper location. The actual filming of anything, including coaching signals, was not and is not illegal. Hopefully you can now understand how ridiculous and heavy the punishment was, which at the time was the harshest punishment ever sanctioned. Especially when the Jets went against the same memo in November of 2006 (2 months after the memo that was cited during Spygate) and didn’t get punished.
Afterwards the Broncos filmed another team’s walkthrough (undeniably a worse offense) in 2010 and were only fined $50,000. ”But didn’t the Patriots also film the Rams walkthrough before the SB?” No, they didn’t. Boston Herald initially reported it. They apologized.
ESPN regurgitated the false report for nearly a decade. They apologized in the wee hours of the morning when they hoped no one was watching.
2014- Divisional Playoffs: Ravens accuse illegal substitutions and formations. Sorry!, nothing to see here folks. Harbaugh did cry hard enough, and now this is illegal. Which goes to show you kids, if you don’t study the rule book, you can cry hard enough and get it changed, modern day America at it’s finest…
The Ravens proposed that players that are declared eligible are to wear pinnies: Yes, real NFL personnel proposed players wear something we all wore in 3rd grade at gym.
Deflategate: Ahhhhh good old air pressure in footballs.
The science proves that it is much more probable than not that no air was removed from the balls at any point after inspection. Given this, the texts are completely pointless. If person A is alive and well, it’s tough to convict Person B of killing Person A even if Person B texted their friend, “Hey, I killed Person A, they call me the killer,” (which the McNally/JJ texts never even get close to saying outright that McNally deflated footballs after inspection.)
Maybe McNally was the deflator, as deflating the footballs was part of his job, and that’s why he called himself that. There’s just next to nothing in the texts to support the notion that he was illegally deflating footballs (instead, he was doing it pre-inspection and only ever setting them to the preferred, and legal, 12.5psi.) This scenario even explains the text from McNally that reads something to the effect of, “I’m not going to ESPN…yet” since it is possible he only meant he wasn’t going to let the public know that Brady was being a colossal hard-ass about how specifically he wanted the game balls prepared and how angry he would get if they weren’t done correctly. Because there is a very possible and totally innocuous scenario that explains the texts, the texts do not prove any one thing over the other. They are circumstantial at best and if they are the only thing being argued in support of Brady having cheated (and let’s face it, it’s pretty much all Pats-haters have left to even hint at something nefarious), then there is no way any reasonable person can conclude the Patriots and/or Brady cheated, even to a preponderance of the evidence.
If you can’t comprehend that, let’s put it in a form you can.
- Tom Brady gets caught going 46mph in a 20mph Manhattan school zone.
- Immediately upon his arrest, it was reported that 11 out of 12 traffic cameras caught him speeding.
- Everyone wants to lynch Tommy for endangering our children.
- When the police finishes its report, it turns out that the local traffic cameras don’t capture motorist speed. Evidently the police knew this, but didn’t make a correction.
- In the report, it surfaces that Tom’s QB coach, eight months earlier, says Tom needs to work on his rushing ability.
- Afterwards, it surfaces from an independent source that the NYPD cop who caught Tom did so via radar gun while driving in the opposite direction at 26mph. This is corroborated by the fact that 14 parked cars and two restaurants received speeding tickets that day.
- 44 states commence the removal of Newtonian relativity from high school textbooks. Physics test scores soar in MA, ME, VT, NH, CT and RI.
- After checking with the police, Tom has his car salvaged and replaced with a new Tesla.
- NYPD leaks that Tom destroyed his car to hide the blood slides he keeps stashed inside its A/C unit.
- NYPD denies the independent report’s existence. In discussion, affirms that TB schemed to run kids over, punishment should be equivalent to him dealing meth in a school zone.
- NYPD immediately goes to a NY judge to affirm their decision.
- Judge tells them to get a clue.
- NYPD goes crying to the appeals court, gets a panel with three NYC judges.
- Two of the judges conclude Tom is guilty of scheming to commit 9/11 v2.0 and screw everything else. The last one calls the other two morons.
- Brady appeals, while being backed by the top police union in the country
- Appeal is denied. Tom is forced to take penalty
Hopefully the haters can find some other original jokes after the Patriots find their way to their 5th ring.