“I’m not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.” Michael Scott, and sports fans everywhere.
Superstitions can sound a little crazy…. until they work that is.Most sports fans have their own superstitions and while they may laugh at other people’s beliefs, they stay true to their own.
There are the usual ones, stay in the same seat the whole game, change seats if your team is losing and wear the same jersey every game, but then there are some unique ones.
I asked some of the biggest sports fans I know what their sports superstitions were and discovered some new ones in the process.
Here are some of the more unique responses:
- When the Patriots defense is playing poorly everyone watching would put a pencil behind their ear like the Patriots Defensive Coordinator Matt Patricia
- Having a football on display that has to face a certain way
- Wearing a specific Patriots hat every game because that’s the hat they were wearing when the Pats won the Super Bowl
- Wearing the same Brady jersey every game because it’s the jersey they were wearing when the Patriots won the Super Bowl (We have a little bit of a trend here)
- Having to watch the puck drop before every hockey period with a clear view and with no talking
- Wearing the jersey of whatever player you feel needs to have a particularly good game in order for your team to win
- If the team is playing poorly turning off the TV and if they start winning keeping the TV off, or on another station (I gotta say I couldn’t do this one, I wouldn’t be able to miss a second of the game!)
- Not washing your jersey if your team is on a winning streak (Don’t think I could do this one either)
- Sitting with one leg bent up with your chin resting on your knee, with the other leg under you and your computer on a cushion next to you (This one was veryyy specific)
- Thinking if you looked away your team would score (This person, a Giants fan, added that they gave up on this one due to the disappointing season)
Some noted that it’s more of an in the moment type of thing and that when their team is on a losing streak they give up on the superstitions, aka the Giants fans I asked had pretty much lost all hope.
While we all have probably laughed at someone else’s superstition saying, “oh yes, you wore a Brady jersey and that’s why they won!”, most of us have superstitions of our own. Ever watch a big game with a new group of people? You have to adjust to their game day rituals.
I asked everyone what their superstitions were and after they gave their answers I asked if they felt like they worked. Many said that when you write them down they do seem a little crazy but the general consensus was, hey, it can’t hurt!