You might be thinking whether there is a certain way you should be washing to GI in case you end up discolouring or damaging it.
You need to make sure you take care of your GI as it is an important part of your gear and you need to be able to roseate however many you have to make sure you are always clean and not over wearing your GI without washing.
This guide will give you the best way to wash your GI without causing any issues with it. Continue reading to find out the easiest ways to wash them.
Things You Need To Know
There are several things you need to know about washing your GI because it’s not just about keeping it clean, but also to protect it from any damage.
After using your GI after class, you will find that it is wet from where you have been sweating and it needs to be washed when you get home.
There are also things that you should be avoiding doing in order to protect your new uniform as well!
- You should never be using bleach on your uniforms because it will actually ruin the material of it. You will find that after a while you may start to get some blood stains or other stains on your GI and it is important to remove them as quickly as possible with cold water and a lot of scrubbing.
- You need to be washing your uniform on cold washes to look after the material. Sue to the fact that they are 100% cotton you need to protect that from the heat because it will most likely shrink your GI if it goes past a certain temperature. If you have bought a new uniform and it is a little bit big, you can always turn the heat up a small fraction to make the sleeves smaller for a better fit.
- When thinking about how to dry your GI it can be a bit of a tricky one if you’re quite a busy person. It needs to befriend in room temp which means avoiding the fast machine dryer and the heat outside which is probably quickly. However, drying it in room temperature is a much better way for the material.
- You can also use a fan to speed up the process of drying your GI. Sue to not being able to leave it outside or in the dryer, this could be something that makes your life a bit easier.
- When thinking about your belt, this Laos needs to be washed after every class because it can get quite dirty too. It is very important to look well presented and ready for each class which includes how you wash and wear your GI.
- It is also important that you are washing your GI straight after you have finished you session if possible because this leaves less time to be smelling in a washing basket and it will remove odours better.
- You also need to be turning your GI inside out before every wash. You need to do this because it will have colour on the outside that can’t rub against the rest of the GI.
- You shouldn’t be washing your GI with other clothes that are completely different colours. Like washing anything, you need to be careful about what colours you put together.
Shrinking Your GI Correctly
Yes, there is a way to get your GI to fit you a lot better, and this is by shrinking it.
You want to first see how much it is able to shrink in just the regular washes you give it on a lower temp.
If this is not working to shrink it enough, you need to wash it on a hotter wash, not too hot but enough to get the shrinking going.
Then you will need to dry it.
If it still hasn’t shrunk to the amount you need it, you can then try and put it in the dryer in a warm temp to see if you can get it smaller and more fitting.
Preserving Your GI
You also need to think about how many GI you actually have because you will need to start roaring them when washing.
If you only have one and you are constantly washing this one uniform, you find find that it will be more likely to damage quicker and wear/tear.
Therefore, it is important that you have a few over time so that you are able to maintain them better and to prevent this damage from washing too frequently from happening.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Put Your GI In The Washing Machine?
A GI can easily retain sweat, oil, and other debris, but you can easily machine wash one to keep it looking clean and new.
Wash your GI in the washing machine with a small amount of laundry detergent.
Use cold water and a delicate cycle to protect the fabric. Then, hang it up to air dry.
Overall, there is much more to washing your uniform than you might initially think.
You need to make sure you are looking after your GI but not overloving just one set.
You want to avoid causing your GI to become fragile from the constant washing and have a few to choose from.
Hopefully this guide has given you some good information about how to wash your uniform properly to be able to maintain it.
Moreover, this guide has also laid out a lot of do’s and don’ts to follow to make sure you are doing it right.
If you do get lazy and try to dry it in the dryer or out other colours in with your uniform, it will only damage the material and you will just have to buy a new one sooner than if you protected and looked after it.
If you enjoyed this post, you might enjoy our article on ‘How To Learn Jiu Jitsu At Home‘.
- What Is A Balk In Baseball? - March 10, 2023
- What Martial Art Has The Strongest Kicking Technique? - March 1, 2023
- What Is Whip In Baseball? - February 20, 2023